Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

Woman, 28 dies after illegal abortion by self-styled doctor

     Aflao 28, Mar (Adoboli) GNA-“Dr” Efo Atsu, a self-styled medical doctor, alleged to be in the business of carrying out criminal abortion on women at his Agbozume base is on the run after one of his recent clients died.
     He is being pursued by the Aflao police to assist in their investigations.
     One Paulina Agborku, 47, and Yawtse Kwashie, 30, the mother and husband respectively of the deceased, Abigail Agborku, 28, a mother of three, have been apprehended and put before an Aflao Circuit Court for abetment of murder.
     The two after an initial two weeks police custody remand have been granted a 6,000 Ghana cedis bail each with three sureties.
     Their pleas were not taken and to come back before the court again on April 19 this year.
     Mr Stepehn Wuni, a Detective Police Sergeant of Aflao told the court presided over by Francis Obiri that Agborku, the victim’s mother is a businesswoman living at Adafienu, where Kwashi a farmer also lived with the deceased and their three children aged 6, 3 and 2.
     He said Agborku who insisted on the abrogation of the her daughter and son-in-laws marriage found in January this year that the deceased was about four months pregnant and angrily demanded that it was terminated.
     Mr Wuni said said as pressure mounted, Kwashie finally gave 90 Ghana cedis to the deceased and directed her to “Dr” Atsu and the abortion was carried out.
     The deceased, he said developed complications the following day and when informed Dr Atsu came down to Adafienu and treated and administered infusions on the deceased.
     Mr Wuni said the deceased finally fell into a coma and was rushed to the Ketu-South District Hospital at Aflao and referred to the Volta Regional Hospital at Ho where she died on January 27, this year.
      He said at the Ketu-South District Hospital, the victim’s mother withheld a note from the health authorities and meant for the police to investigate the case as she also failed to honour schedules with the police to lead to arrest the Dr Atsu.
     Mr Wuni said some unidentified persons of the Agborku family also quickly removed the deceased’s body to the Saint Anthony’s Hospital morgue at Dzodze, had it embalmed, damaging any clues to the cause of death.
     He said investigations were continuing.
28 Mar 11

No comments:

Post a Comment