Ebeh (V/R), (Mensah) GNA-The Volta Regional Police command Thursday began the demolishing of unauthorized speed ramps in the Region.
This followed the failure of chiefs and opinion leaders to have them removed despite several appeals.
The move is to reduce the number of road accidents in the Region.
Mr Alex Bedie, Volta Regional Police Commander warned that Chiefs would be prosecuted if their communities re-constructed those unauthorized ramps.
“The police in collaboration with the Regional Road Safety Committee have organized a lot of education campaigns on speed ramps and sensitized opinion leaders before this exercise and would not countenance their re-construction,” he said.
Mr Bedie attributed the rise in road accidents in the Region to the construction of unauthorized speed ramps and expressed the hope that the removal of the ramps would help reduce accidents in the region drastically.
He urged drivers to observe recommended speed limits to reduce road accidents.
Mr Fred Lumor, Regional Commander of the Motor Traffic and Transport Unit told the GNA in an interview that, the Region recorded a total of 15 “serious” road accidents last month in which three people were killed.
The exercise had support from the Road and River Safety Foundation (ROSEF), a non-governmental organization.
07 July 11